Thursday, November 29, 2007

Comments on Genetics

The genetics presentation surprised me as I thought that there would be an argument of God vs. DNA. Our composition, especially our DNA is a touchy subject for different reasons; some people believe that what makes us physically makes us human while others argue that we are human because we have been bestowed life by an omnipotent creator. However, the arguments in the presentation about diversity amongst the races inspired me. I agree that people should embrace diversity but I think people get too hung up on labels and beliefs.

It has been proven that we genetically all share over 90% of the same materials. If one were to make the argument about DNA they could make this the basis of their argument. But they would also have to take into account the fact that we also share over 90% of our DNA with monkeys. Discussions on genetics and diversity among what we consider to be different races of human are bunk. Someone said in class that we should all just recognize each other as people and move on with out lives. I concur wholeheartedly with that sentiment.

No comments: